Sunday, February 20, 2011

Reflections on different directions

Aisling went to the annual youth retreat for the Diocese of Lafayette-in-Indiana, Destination Jesus. We dropped her off at St. Theodore Guerin High School late on Friday afternoon and picked her up today at one o'clock, which was a very long time to live in an Aisling-free household, the rest of us agreed. When she climbed into the van, she began to talk in her exuberant way about the fun -- the skits, the conferences, the small-group discussions, the Eucharistic adoration, the music (so loud it made the chairs vibrate, she assured us), sleeping on the floor of the gym and even the long, long lines for the showers -- with the air of a person who has been transported by shining delight.

"It was so fun," she said, "doing hand motions to all the songs! And all the singing! And sitting in the bleachers with all my friends! And hanging out and talking before we fell asleep!I loved it! I loved every minute of it!"

"Aisling," my husband said solemnly. "I'm a bit unclear on this. Do you want to go back next year?"

She paused for a moment, obviously struggling with the truth, couched in diplomatic terms. "I'd like to go back right now."

I compared this joie de vivre with my own personality, which is not nearly so fun. My idea of a really inspirational spiritual retreat is to go to something like this, announced by the Our Lady of Fatima Retreat Center in Indianapolis:

“Come Away and Rest Awhile: Silent Reflection Day”

Join us for another opportunity for a silent non-guided reflection day. Relax in your own private room, read a book, walk the grounds, pray the labyrinth or the stations of the cross. The day is yours for reflection and time with God.

The cost is $25 per person and includes continental breakfast from 8:00-9:00 am, lunch at 12:00 noon, and a room to use for the day. The day concludes at 4:00 pm.


Now that's my kind of retreat. Quiet. Restful. No loud music. And definitely no hand motions.

2 comments:

Whosyergurl said...

I vote yes. :-)

Kayte said...

Gee that photo looks a little familiar...spend a lot of time up there at GCHS, yes, I do. Love it. Happy to hear she had a great time!