Thursday, August 19, 2010

Princes: Two for the Spin Doctors and one who's all mine

See, the problem with watching shows like VH-1's "Greatest Hits of the 80s" and "Greatest Hits of the 90s" is that my husband and I sit, utterly mesmerized, waiting for the next hit on the countdown to be announced....and the next one....and the next one....and we're saying the whole time, "Oh, do you remember the first time we heard this song?" and "I can't believe we still know all the words, NOW THAT WE'RE TOTALLY ANCIENT and all" and "This was the song on the radio when we took your Trans Am through the car wash on our honeymoon to get all the writing off it and the T-tops weren't in right because we were in such a hurry to get away and water came in and poured down my back and got my going-away dress all wet."

True story.

Anyway, this is one of those classics that makes me get all weepy every time I hear it. I think it's one of the sweetest marriage proposal songs ever, "Two Princes" by the Spin Doctors. Every time I hear it, I remember being engaged and how my then husband-to-be would leave my house every evening at a respectable time -- I was a very demure fifth grade teacher in a Christian school -- and drive home as fast as he could. He'd call me as soon as he walked in the door of his place and we'd talk on the phone all night long. It's a good thing we were only engaged for six weeks before we got married because I don't know how long we both could have kept up with that grueling pace. Only after we were married and I realized how much sleep my husband needs did I realize how heroic he'd been in staying up all night nearly all the time. Definitely a prince, he was. And is.

No comments: