Friday, August 27, 2010

There are some things that make me angry

I firmly believe that every profession has this kind of person in it, but my field is teaching, so I know the kind of person I'm talking about, but I'm sure you'll be able to relate to this kind of person in your profession. If you're moved to make roll your eyes or mime sticking your finger down your throat, please feel free.

But before I explain the person, I want to explain myself: I'm a teacher. It's the only thing I ever wanted to do, other than be, like, a ballerina when I was five. I also wanted to be Ann Wilson for a while, but my singing voice makes the birds fall out of the trees, dead on the sidewalk. So anyway. I kind of feel compelled to teach people stuff and whether that's because I'm really bossy and bossy people enjoy being in classrooms or whether because I enjoy being in classrooms because it gives me a chance to boss people around, I don't know. It's a chicken/egg conundrum.

I love teaching.

But you know what I don't love? Educrats. Educrats are the kind of people who are so bent on EDUCATION that they forget all about teaching. They're about the process and the methods and the theories and all those classes in the university course catalog that start with ED. You can tell who they are because when they get up to talk to a classroom full of people, it's like each person being hit, on an individual basis, in the head with a baseball bat.

Stuffy. Boring. Droning. Dull.

They don't teach. They educate. They are educators or even educationists. Quite often, they're smug.

They are definitely not teachers.

I hate it when I have to spend time with those people. It makes me angry.

1 comment:

Kayte said...

Okay, got it. You are a great teacher. I always thought of you as an educator as well. Good to know the difference. Let's bake some bread...how about those little Poolish Baguettes in the BBA book? We can start the poolish today, let it sit on the counter for the time, toss it in frig over night & bake it tomorrow, nice little buns for dinner and you can include it in your menu planning week post. Email me when you are ready.