Thursday, September 11, 2008

New gig for the girls

This has been a grade A, most-this-amazing sort of day.

First, Meelyn and Aisling were unexpectedly asked to do a school-year gig doing child care on the second and fourth Thursdays of each month for the local MOPS group. MOPS stands for Mothers of Pre Schoolers and is a church-based program for moms to participate in a Bible study and small group discussion while their kids are watched over by paid caregivers, most of whom are education majors from the local university who are working on their early childhood education degrees. They are assisted by teenage girls -- mostly from the home schooling community, for obvious reasons -- and have play time, a snack, a craft and a little Bible lesson geared to their age group.

Meelyn will be able to earn $7 per hour for six hours of work per month; Aisling, as a junior high aged teenager, will earn $10 per event. Plus, they'll gain some really invaluable child care experience, which makes me very happy. Them too!

Well, plus the money. They are STOKED about the money.

Later in the afternoon, I had to drive our minivan full of girls to volleyball practice, which was too far away for me to go back home. So I took a huge bag full of books and planned Meelyn's work out for the next couple of weeks in a nice room off the church's gymnasium, where I had a fairly comfortable folding chair and a big table to spread out all my books. With no internet, no telephone, no doorbell and no dogs to distract me (well, okay, and no snacks, just shut up), I was able to get done with everything I needed to do in that two blessedly quiet window of opportunity.

It feels soooo goooood to be caught up...

I may well be behind again on Monday, but at least I'll be able to treasure this brief, shining moment in my heart.

1 comment:

Kayte said...

Oh, I am so celebrating you getting caught up! You are just trying to drive me crazy with that statement, aren't you?????

It sounds heavenly...except the quiet part...too much quiet over here with everyone gone...that's why I have been out volunteering a lot...to avoid the void.

No snacks???????????????????????