Tuesday, January 1, 2008

A quick note on the French toast

I didn't like the French toast made with the Italian loaf this morning. I sliced the bread just a tiny bit thicker than sandwich bread is cut, but because the bread is so much more robust -- dense? -- it didn't tear when I lifted it from the pan, but then again it didn't really cook all the way through, either.

The outside of the bread was crispy, but the inner part was a little bit gummy. You know, with uncooked egg, warmed slightly. Wet bread. GAK!!!!

I swallowed my first bite with difficulty and handed my plate to my husband, shuddering. He chided me for being such a twitchy goose, but was jolly pleased to eat his portion and mine.

This recipe is too good to throw out, so I think I'll try slicing an Italian loaf thinner next time. The cinnamon and nutmeg flavors with the sugar, eggs, vanilla and milk make the nicest egg-noggy batter. It's really delish, but ONLY if the bread is cooked all the way through.

1 comment:

Kayte said...

I am with you...here's something that might work: Crisp it up on the griddle or pan and then put it in the oven to cook and set all the way through...what do you think? It has the added advantage of keeping a whole lot of them warm at the same time to serve at the table when everyone is gathered. That's my best Marthaesque advice today.