Saturday, January 31, 2009

RECIPE: Susie's Taco Soup & Carol's Black Bean Soup

Carol and Susie sent me their recipes for their own south-of-the-border soup specialties. Mine is Mexican Chili. We were sharing these recipes because we noted in several emails that soup is 1) good; 2) hot; and 3) cheap.

The only thing I refuse to concede is that plain yogurt tastes like sour cream, and I've got a teacup in my hand ready to back that opinion up, Susie.

I copied these here just as they sent them to me via email. They are my cousins and so much fun and I love them.

Susie's Taco Soup

1 pound lean ground beef - I use the 93/7
1-2 onions, chopped
garlic if you want - you know, 1-2 cloves
1 package Ranch dressing mix
1 package hot Taco Seasoning Mix
1 can Rotel tomatoes, 28 oz
1 can chopped chilies, 4.5 oz
1 can black beans, 15.5 oz for all the rest
1 can dark, kidney beans
1 can your choice - white navy or pinto
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can mexican style corn
1 can white shoepeg corn - I've only found in small cans - this is a little, white corn, but hey I'm talking to Indiana girls who know their corn
1 can white hominy
3 cans water

Brown beef and onion(s); add taco seasoning mix and ranch mix (dry, not real liquid dressing!), In a large slow cooker or pot, combine all ingredients. Use liquid in all the vegetables/beans, do not drain. Cook until thoroughly heated - at least 1/2 hour. Dpending how hot you like your food, you could add jalapeno peppers to it. I don't think the chilies have much flavor.

Can serve by itself or like A. did - a sliver of avocado on top, shredded cheddar, fritos or tortilla strips and a dollop of plain, nonfat yogurt - tastes just like sour cream and much less calories!!!

This makes a boat load of soup so be prepared to store in the freezer. It freezes well. I think the most interesting thing about this recipe is the white hominy and putting dry ranch dressing mix in it. The ranch gives it such a good flavor. Enjoy!!!

Carol's Black Bean Soup

3 can black beans in seasoned sauce
2 chicken breasts
1 can corn
1 can petite diced tomatoes
assorted spices - I use cumin, garlic, cilantro, oregano
1 small chopped onion
garlic if you have it - last week I didn't.
2 cans chicken broth

I browned the chicken breasts in olive oil and added the onion and garlic. Then I put those chickey breasts in a big pot and added everything else. Let it simmer for a couple hours and take out the chicken and cut it up and put it back in.

Serve with cheese and/or sour cream and those tortilla chips are good too.

No comments: