Sunday, August 9, 2009

Because I loved the Monkees

I can't help it. I know it's insane. I don't understand myself and think I may need some kind of medication. But I luuuuuurve this Jonas Brothers song, "I Fell in Love with the Pizza Girl." It reminds me of the Monkees and their cute, goofy sweetness.




And here are The Monkees with "Last Train to Clarksville" and I think I was all of four years old when I saw them singing it on their Saturday morning television show. This song debuted in 1966 when I was three, so that sounds about right. By four, I was already a steadfast fangirl, playing for Team Mickey. I LOVED him, but the truly funny thing is, I can TOTALLY remember wistfully wishing that he was my big brother.

I had no recognition of this tune as a VietNam-era protest song, which it apparently was. I don't think the Jonas Brothers' song about the pizza girl is protesting much of anything, except maybe having giant ripe olives rained down on them from above. Or maybe how fake the shredded cheese looks.

No comments: