Friday, November 23, 2007

I need a Joseph

In the Old Testament, there was this guy named Joseph who seemed like a fundamentally decent kid, but who had the unfortunate inability, as a young man, to quit tooting his own horn.

He was the youngest of a large family of brothers, and was unable to stop himself from sharing his dreams at the breakfast table, while everyone was sitting around with their faces buried in mugs of coffee and bowls of farina porridge.

"Hey, listen, I had this really interesting dream last night," he said, ignoring the well-known fact that people who want to tell other people their dreams are a blight on the face of this planet. "Last night I dreamed that I was the ruler and you all had to bow down to me." He made this announcement to all his older brothers and was surprised when they all looked up from their mugs with expressions ranging from the bleak to the murderous. "What? Why are you looking at me like that? I'm just sayin'."

So later on the older brothers sold him to slave traders. Which was not right. But perhaps....understandable. There's only so much of that boastful dream-saying that a person should have to listen to before Taking Steps to make it stop.

Anyway, Joseph continued with the dream interpreting, although he was careful afterward to deal solely with other people's dreams, having perceived that interpreting your own dreams with a strong personal bias and then telling them to other people will get you into trouble.

I need a Joseph right now myself. I have been thinking for days now what that nightmare I had that involved a vampire and a can of Campbell's Chunky Clam Chowder could possibly mean, but I just can't figure it out. I do know that the soup in question was definitely clam chowder, and not something more useful when being unpleasantly confronted with a hungry vampire, like chili made with beans, ground beef and Type O. Because the vampire was definitely hungry.

But not for clam chowder.

When or if I remember this dream, I will be sure not to tell you.

No comments: