Thursday, November 8, 2007

Thursday's List

READING: The Summons by John Grisham. I've read it before, but it's been a long time. I really like Grisham's writing. Legal thrillers are always a lot of fun, and very informative, actually. I learned a heck of a lot about offshore banking from reading The Firm all those years ago. I don't know if Kayte's husband, Mark (the fancy lawyer), has such an exciting time of it as John Grisham's characters do, but those books are fun to read. My favorite Grisham novel of all, though, is A Painted House and doesn't happen to be about lawyers at all.

LISTENING TO: I hear a train's whistle from far up the street, drifting down to us on the clear, chilly night air. The traffic that usually streams by is gone for the day; the only real traffic that passes right now are the trucks from the dairy, on their way to make deliveries at markets, groceries, schools, hospitals and restaurants and the hush outside is as soft as velvet.

Train whistles in the night are deeply embedded in my consciousness with a sense of peaceful well-being. My childhood home in Mt. Summit, Indiana was near a train track and I used to lie in my little bed under the eaves (the same bed my father slept in as a little boy, in the same house) and listen to the train whistles in the night, knowing that their sound meant that all was right with the world.

FAVORITE NEW FIND: The boutique a stone's throw from our house is having a special sale tomorrow on Webkins -- BUY ONE PET, GET ONE PET FREEEEEEEE!!! Could I be more excited? Heck no! Will I throw down any little kid who stands between me and a plushy new friend? Heck yes! Are Meelyn and Aisling coming with me? They'd better be on the front porch, ready to head down that sidewalk at zero-niner-five-eight hours tomorrow, is all I know.

FAVORITE THING TODAY: My warm, snuggly lavender fleecy sweatshirt. It could not be more comfortable and toasty warm. I wish it weren't so ugly. But my husband won't let me wear it out of the house.

HOURS OF SLEEP LOGGED LAST NIGHT: Lots! I cuddled up under several blankets and put my feet on my husband and dropped off like a rock. I think it might have something to do with circadian rhythms, but I honestly have no idea what that even means.

THE CAUSE OF MY STRESS: Round 2 of HISTO Ancient Greece is a month away and it will be upon me before I know it. I have some of the eighty questions written, but not all. Time to get it squared away this weekend.

THE CAUSE OF MY JOY: My spring semester Shakespeare Workshop is all filled up and I am really thrilled about that. Most of the members of the class are returning students, but I have quite a few newbies, which is always exciting.

LOOKING FORWARD TO: My second nephew's birthday party this weekend. He'll be seven. But I'm not looking forward to the menu he's chosen: hot dogs, macaroni and cheese and chili. It is to barf. I am totally rethinking this whole idea of allowing the birthday child to choose his own meal until he is old enough to choose prime rib and twice-baked potatoes.

PRAYING FOR: My Aunt Cynthia, who is very, very old and in the hospital, nearing the end of her life.

+Eternal Father, I offer You the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Thine only begotten Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, in atonement for our sins, and those of the whole world. For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.+

1 comment:

Kayte said...

LOL on Mark's life being like the Grisham books...he does have a fair number of interesting stories, but rather tame for you I fear. Grisham does write a nice piece, doesn't he?

Loved, loved, loved the images you have congered up about the train whistle...I read it about ten times as I liked the images so much! This, my friend, is why you write! And, definitely, why we all read it!


No, no, not more webkinz...you get too involved with those and we never see you or hear from you! LOL! Down with the webkinz! Just kidding...but are you sure, are you sure you want that kind of commitment again?

Love the lavender fleece!

Congrats on the Shakespeare workshops, classes, etc. Who knows where this could go?

LOL on the prime rib...like any kid, other than Alex, is going to choose that at such a young age. I would ask, "Alex would like a snack?" At three his answer would be "Yes, I want a steak and some asparagus." We should have been suspicious even then that things were a little awry with that kid! LOL.