Thursday, November 15, 2007

Thursday's List

READING: Sushi for Beginners by Marian Keyes. Marian Keyes is an Irish novelist that reminds me of a younger, hipper Maeve Binchy. If you love Maeve Binchy like I do, you may well enjoy the books of Marian Keyes. Her books make me laugh out loud and frequently make me sniffle and use the hem of my top to wipe my eyes. My favorite Marian Keyes book is Rachel's Holiday, but it is a happy-ending yet grueling read about the protagonist's struggles to overcome her drug addiction. I know that sounds wretched, but it really is a funny, moving book in spite of the subject matter.

LISTENING TO: A little talk radio.

FAVORITE NEW FIND: A couple of Shakespeare books that I don't have. Imagine! I am excitedly waiting for Christmas money to come along so that I can buy them.

FAVORITE THING TODAY: Today is the volleyball awards banquet. Wooooooot!!!

HOURS OF SLEEP LOGGED LAST NIGHT: I slept for four hours, and then happened to wake up because I had a bad dream about a vampire and a can of Chunky clam chowder. Then when I got up to get a drink, my mind whirled into action about the Stratford, Ontario Shakespeare Festival trip I'm in the midst of planning with a travel agent, and I immediately got so excited, I could NOY fall back to sleep. So I got up and stayed up until 7:00, then, because we have had the nicest day today of not having to go anywhere until this evening, I went back to bed until 10:30. It was lovely.

THE CAUSE OF MY STRESS: The Thanksgiving dinner given by the staff of my grandparents' assisted living center -- which, by the way, is FREE -- is tonight, of all nights. The night of our volleyball banquet. My brother and his family can't go because my older nephew has a basketball game; my cousin and her family can't go because my teenage cousin has a basketball game. I can't believe the rotten timing. We're all meeting next week at my brother's house, but my grandpa is having so much trouble with his foot and leg. I'm worried that he won't be able to come. Ugh.

THE CAUSE OF MY JOY: My husband, my soul mate, who is just a funny, loving, affectionate person. He also seems to have a slight case of OCD when it comes to bagging groceries, painting walls and putting up Christmas lights, but I can bear those things, considering that it means that I don't have to bag groceries, paint walls or put up Christmas lights.

LOOKING FORWARD TO: Thanksgiving, which I wish were two weeks away, but since it isn't...SHOW ME THE TURKEY!!!!!

PRAYING FOR: All of us, that we'll count our many blessings. This is especially important for me, because I am a big, grouchy pessimistic hypochondriac doomsayer. If you would, pray for me to get over myself. You may need the help of St. Jude for this one.

1 comment:

Kayte said...

We will pray for you, but not for any of those reasons you listed...your list does not include all the wonderful things that you are...we don't see any of those things you listed. Our prayers will be that we continue to be blessed with your presence in our lives and for your success in all the wonderful things you contribute to life each and every day for all those around you. So there, take that.