Thursday, January 27, 2011

RECIPE: Best Darned Tartar Sauce Ever

I suppose I could have taken a picture of the tartar sauce I made to go with our baked tilapia last night, but when I looked at it there in the bowl, I had a sudden intuitive moment that told me that tartar sauce tastes better than it looks: it's not one of those photogenic foods like a crown rib roast or even a simple bowl of glazed carrots. No, tartar sauce just looks pretty bland and dull and would continue looking like that even if I posed it in a bowl made of diamonds with rare orchids around the rim, so you'll just have to take my word for it that it is ANYTHING but bland and dull. It's so good, my husband swore that he could have eaten it out of the bowl with a spoon. Now that's a sauce to be proud of!

So here it is, the superlative, ultimate, yay-for-Lent-and-fish-on-Fridays tartar sauce.

Best Darned Tartar Sauce Ever

Ingredients:
1 cup mayonnaise (use light only if you must, and if you use non-fat mayo, I have it on good authority that the piece of fish you're having for dinner? It will COME BACK TO LIFE and bite your head off, so...)
2 tablespoons minced sweet onion, three if you're fond of onion
1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish, slightly drained
1/4 teaspoon lemon juice

Directions:

Mix all ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and allow the tartar sauce's flavors to blend in the fridge for at least an hour before serving, two hours would be prime. Makes six servings. Keep tightly covered in fridge for up to three days.

1 comment:

Kayte said...

Sounds a lot like mine...and you are right, this sounds like the best darned tartar sauce EVER.