Sunday, January 2, 2011

There comes a time....

...when I am so abruptly sick an' tired of all the Christmas decorations, I just want to hurl them all out into the street. I can usually make it all the way to Epiphany on January 6, but Epiphany isn't on January 6 this year, it's TODAY. I don't understand exactly why it's today other than that the holy days of the Christmas season all fell inconveniently on the weekend, but I do know that it gave me a good reason to say, in a feverish voice, "Okay, let's do this. Now." Plus, the tree was getting dried out and it was shedding needles like a collie sheds hair.

So we did. We filled up red Rubbermaid totes a-plenty and carefully jammed the lids on them and piled them in the kitchen hallway for my husband to take downstairs to the crypt. I mean, the basement. I feel kind of bad for being tired of Christmas, but to be perfectly honest -- and when am I not? -- 2010 is not a year I'll be looking back on with a bunch of fondness and this Christmas was a particularly difficult one, thanks to the ongoing recession, and I am ready to just move it along to the new year. Not that I'm bitter or anything, just ready to forge ahead.

Frikking recession.

Okay, maybe a just a little bitter.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

I normally wait until mid-January to take everything down, but I've already started, too. It always a bit sad, but I am SO ready for our space and return to normalcy. We're also making room for the baby, but still. I'm glad to know we're not alone in taking stuff down already!
Happy New Year to you & your family. I hope 2011 is sure good to you!