Saturday, August 11, 2007

All day long today

All day today I have thought it was Sunday. I'm so confused, probably because I stayed up until 5:00 a.m. talking to Bridget at the little mini-retreat we went on.

Tonight was my brother's party for his 38th birthday at our parents' house. Mom baked a lasagna and made garlic bread and salad, plus chocolate cake for dessert. It was very nice, especially the look of chagrin on my brother's face when we all dramatically sang, "Haaaaaaaaaaaappy biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirthdaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!" Yes, we make it just that obnoxious. Why? Because we can. My younger nephew conducted us with a spoon and we were in a very shaky three-part harmony at the last line.

But it all seems kind of Fellini-like three hours later, because I am so sleepy.

On the way home, we decided to go ahead and pray our family rosary in the van. We'd been talking about computers, so I was thinking about computers and when we got to the line in the Apostles Creed where we're supposed to say, "I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Holy Catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sin, the resurrection of the body and life everlasting, Amen," I changed out a word and said, "the computers of saints, the forgiveness of sins," etc.

It made me think that St. Thérèse of Liseux, who often embarrassed herself by falling asleep while praying the rosary with the nuns in her Carmel convent, was up in heaven, emailing a group of my favorite saints and saying, "We need to pray that Shelley has a good night of sleep tonight, because she is, like, punch drunk."

No comments: