Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Requiem prayer

My friend Sue's husband, Tom, passed away at 5:10 a.m. EST. Tom was twenty-eight years old. He died after a brief and hard-fought battle with cancer. He and Sue have two small children.

Psalm 116

I love the LORD, who listened to my voice in supplication,
Who turned an ear to me on the day I called.
I was caught by the cords of death; the snares of Sheol had seized me;
I felt agony and dread.

Then I called on the name of the LORD, "O LORD, save my life!"
Gracious is the LORD and just; yes, our God is merciful.
The LORD protects the simple; I was helpless, but God saved me.

Return, my soul, to your rest; the LORD has been good to you.
For my soul has been freed from death, my eyes from tears, my feet from stumbling.
I shall walk before the LORD in the land of the living.
I kept faith, even when I said, "I am greatly afflicted!"
I said in my alarm, "No one can be trusted!"

How can I repay the LORD for all the good done for me?

I will raise the cup of salvation and call on the name of the LORD.
I will pay my vows to the LORD in the presence of all his people.
Too costly in the eyes of the LORD is the death of his faithful.
LORD, I am your servant, your servant, the child of your maidservant;
you have loosed my bonds.

I will offer a sacrifice of thanksgiving and call on the name of the LORD.

I will pay my vows to the LORD in the presence of all his people,
In the courts of the house of the LORD, in your midst, O Jerusalem. Hallelujah!


Eternal rest grant unto Tom, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him. May his soul and the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. +Amen+

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Amen.

I still find it so hard to believe. It's such a young age.