Sunday, August 10, 2008

Indiana State Fair Re-cap -- In Which We Eat So Much Food, We're Banned from Riding the Trolley

Don't worry, I'm just exaggerating. We weren't really banned from the trolley, but we probably would have been if we'd tried to get on, after all we ate. It was disgraceful, it really was. But boyoboy, was it ever good.

Here's what we had. Some of it was shared, some of it we clutched to our chests and growled if anyone approached and said, "Can I have a bite of that?":

1. foot long corn dogs

2. ribeye steak on a stick

3. elephant ears

4. cheese fries

5. Italian sausage sandwich with bell peppers and onions

6. Pineapple Whip

7. deep-fried cookie dough

8. chicken quesadilla with salsa and sour cream

9. corn on the cob

10. popcorn

and the coup de grâce...

11. deep fried Bananas Foster cheesecake on a stick



I personally tried the last item, feeling that since I talked it up so much in this post, the least I could do was take one for the team and eat some. It's a tough and rugged job, but someone has to do it. And I am all about serving the community. That's me: generous and giving.

The bowl of cheesecake on a stick and ice cream was $4.00 and worth every penny. There were three chunks of cheesecake, which were deliciously melty inside their crispy crust. The vanilla ice cream with caramel sauce went really well with the cheesecake, providing cool creaminess to contrast with the warm creaminess of the cheesecake. The banana flavor was really pronounced and it was a totally awesome dessert.

Do yourself a favor, though, and eat this dessert next to one of those hand-washing stations; there's one on Main Street just a little ways east of Urick Concession's main booth. Kieren, Nanny and I all had this dessert and we were all a sticky mess afterwards. I thought I was going to have to take an entire sponge bath afterwards.

The roasted corn on the cob was particularly good this year. I shared an ear with Meelyn -- and it was DIPPED IN BUTTER as the good Lord intended it to be. I love being able to hold the ear by its husk because those little corn pokers scare me. I always wonder if my next bite is going to be the one that pierces my tongue.

My steak-on-a-stick was absolutely delicious, so tender and good. I had a hard time choosing between a pork chop sandwich, but I was glad I chose the steak. You get a lot of steak for the money, too, I felt: it was $6.00 for an à la carte portion, and I got three sticks, each with three or four good-sized chunks of meat on it. It took me forever to eat and everyone got restless sitting and waiting on me to finish.

Nanny got the pineapple whip and pronounced it delicious; Kieren got an elephant ear which he shared with the girls. He offered me some, but I was off sweets for the day after that deep-fried cheesecake. I opted for some Indiana-grown popcorn instead.

This year's fair food was a delicious experience and I enjoyed every single bite.

2 comments:

hmsweaver said...

Oh, that all sounds so delicious! My favorite fair foods have always been corn dogs and mini-doughnuts, but everything you described sounds tasty! We haven't been to the State Fair lately, but this year the weather is so nice. Maybe we'll make it. :-)

Kayte said...

No, I haven't fallen off the face of the earth, but I am just now catching up with your blog. I missed it dreadfully.

I am really enjoying just the vision in my head of you all ambling about choosing which foods to buy, which to eat, which to share, and all that goes with that. I so want the pineapple whip...