Monday, August 4, 2008

Screeching in from the weekend with our hair on fire

I haven't posted a single word since last Thursday, and all I can say is, "Dude...what a weekend."

In the past few days, the girls went to a birthday sleepover with one of their friends, we were all invited to a cook-out, we spent a bunch of time with our nephews (who have to go back to school on August 12, which seems crazy-early to me), went to Symphony on the Prairie for my birthday (which was actually in June) and had our church's saint's day festival. Throw in a two hour music practice at church, hours of traveling time to various places in our now un-air-conditioned van during some of the hottest days of the entire summer, some frantic shopping for the birthday girl's gift and about a thousand trips to the grocery and you have our weekend.

Yesterday, when calm finally descended after the family and I put in our time at the ring-toss and the fingernail painting booth*, we packed up our stuff and headed for the pool. I took my library book out of my bag and walked straight into the cool, refreshing water and stayed there for two hours, moving nothing but my eyeballs and the fingers of my right hand as I turned the pages.


*My husband did not participate in the fingernail painting, by the way. He has no talent in that direction, although when it comes to tossing a ring over a 2-liter bottle of soda pop, he reigns champion. If the rings were being tossed over bottles of Michelob Light instead of soda pop, I imagine that he would be crowned King of Ring Toss. Or maybe King of Ring Tosspots, I don't know which.

1 comment:

Kayte said...

Ah...I wanted to see B with painted fingernails.....