Wednesday, May 6, 2009

"Close to You"

When I was about seven or so, I remember three singing groups that I really liked: the Beatles, Simon & Garfunkel and the Carpenters. Since I was a child in the golden age of rock music -- I later moved on to Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Pink Floyd, Bon Jovi and Def Leppard -- it surprises me about the Carpenters, but they remained one of my guilty secrets all the way through Rocks, Slippery When Wet and Pyromania. There was just something about handsome Richard at the piano and little doe-eyed Karen with that big contralto voice (especially when she drummed as she sang) that just moved me.

When Meelyn and Aisling were born, one of the songs I sang as I rocked them was "Close to You."

On the day that you were born
the angels got together
and decided to create a dream come true;
So they sprinkled moondust in your hair
and golden starlight in your eyes of blue

That is why all the boys in town
follow you all around

Just like me, they long to be
close to you.


I was quietly devastated by her death in 1983, the result of the complications of anorexia nervosa. I played this YouTube video for the girls today, and couldn't help but get tears in my eyes. Such a sweet song, and such a lovely and talented girl.




If you want the whole version of the song with it's "Waaaaaaa, ah ah ah ah" ending, click on this link.

1 comment:

Kayte said...

Can the next You Tube be Def? LOL LOL...the Carpenters...really, really????? Okay, we all have our little guilty secret pleasures. I have a secret stash of Perry Como records...now you KNOW!