Thursday, July 31, 2008

Did it make good leftovers? Overnight Slow-Cooker Oatmeal

This morning when I got up, I was still hungry for the slow-cooked oatmeal, so I went in search of the leftovers. There wasn't much left, since all four of us had a bowl yesterday morning (well, Aisling had a bowl which she sugared and covered in milk and then put in the sink), but there was enough for a couple of bowls.

______________________________________________

RECIPE: Overnight Slow-Cooker Oatmeal
______________________________________________

As expected, the leftover oatmeal was gluey and unappetizing in appearance, but I was prepared to deal with that. I pried a hunk out of the fridge container, put it in a bowl with a glug of milk and microwaved it for two minutes. When the beeper sounded, I pulled it out and stirred vigorously to reconstitute it to yesterday's creamy lusciousness and sweetened it with one packet of stevia and a dribble of maple syrup. The crowning touch was a scant palmful of chopped pecans.

It was perfectly delicious. My husband, who slept in on this, his day off, trundled downstairs when I was about halfway through my bowl, with an interested look on his face. I offered to make him a bowl before he went out on his three-mile run in training for the Indianapolis Marathon in October (he's running the half-marathon), leaving out the pecans because he prefers a creamy texture with no chewiness.

He proclaimed it delicious, much better than the half an expensive protein bar he usually eats. I pointed out that it was about three times cheaper, too: the entire packet of organic steel-cut oats, which I figure will make about four or five crocks of oatmeal, cost about half as much as the carefully parceled out protein bars he and Meelyn consume in one week. Those things are not delicious, although they are a good protein source for the crazy people who insist on getting up early and exercising and running and all that kind of thing.
But not as good as old-fashioned, slow-cooked oatmeal!

No comments: