Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Very nice!

I wrote a post a couple of days ago about Meelyn in the driver's ed class titled In the horrors describing the birthday gifts that some girls seem to expect from their boyfriends of three months' standing. I was gobsmacked when Mee said that one girl bragged that her beau had purchased a $178 necklace from Kohl's, and I expressed the fervent hope that it was just big prideful talk.

The conversation came up during the class's ten minute break because one of the boys asked what he should buy for his girl's birthday. They'd been dating for three months, he said. That's how the subject of jewelry came up.

So I'm happy to report that the boy said today that he'd bought her a $20 gift certificate from Starbucks. If you're into the whole dating-at-fifteen scene (which I'm not, just in case you hadn't noticed), I think that this is a very thoughtful and respectable -- and respectful -- gift. I have a feeling that there were some parents in there putting the ix-nay on the whole jewelry idea, and this gift idea was a nice thought.

Well done, unknown boy from driver's ed!

No comments: