Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Punxsutawney Phil has some good news this morning

Today is Groundhog Day and of course I was GLUED TO THE TELEVISION to find out whether the handsome and clever Phil, pictured there at the left, was going to see his shadow. Because more than six weeks of this horrible cold, the snow, the ice, the grey and gloomy skies? I don't think I can take it.

Fortunately, it's a lot sunnier this morning in Pennsylvania than it is here -- as I type this at 7:29 a.m., it is still discouragingly pitch black outside -- and Phil did see his shadow, which means that we have only six more weeks of winter instead of, say, eight or nine. The horror of eight or nine more weeks of this bone-searing cold makes me want to just keel over. So thank you, Phil.

Don't you think I should get extra points today for being able to type "Punxsutawney" this early in the morning? I haven't even had a cup of coffee yet.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Yes, it's impressive you can say Punxsutawney sans coffee. LOL

However, not to be the burden of bad news, but I thought if he saw his shadow, we were destined for more winter, and if he didn't, spring was coming sooner.
No?

Shelley said...

Wow, I don't know! Maybe it depends on what part of the country you live in -- does Phil's forecast apply to the entire nation?

Here in Indiana, while it is definitely possible to wake up to six inches of new snow on Easter morning, we NEVER have spring starting in March.

Either this groundhog system is totally flawed or Phil is a big fat liar. But I do love his silly nose.

Katie said...

Apparently the idiots over at PeTA want them to replace Phil with an animatronic groundhog.

I wish I was joking.