Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Why does this always happen?

I'm washing the sheets today, even though my day for washing the sheets is usually Monday. I have no excuse for my slothfulness of yesterday, but anyhoo, I went out earlier to put them in the washer and the same phenomenon that always happens occurred again:

As soon as I start the washer, I have to pee. Even if I just went, like, ten minutes previously. My bladder acts just like one of Pavlov's little dogs -- I hear water gushing into the washer's tub and *WHAM* -- it is TIME to GO.

I can't tell you the number of times I have hastily exited the laundry room to go to our downstairs bathroom, only to forget that I started the washer. And I'd like to point out that it doesn't take very long to pee: what does this say about my attention span? Or my short-term memory? I'll wander out to the laundry room a little later and see the bundle of sheets or the tangle of clothing still sitting in the basket, the washer completely filled and waiting patiently for my return. Oops. I blame it on the fact that I am a very busy person. Who washes each pillowcase individually. And....measures the powdered detergent grain by grain into the machine? No? Okay.

Does this happen to any of you? Or do I have, as that television commercial for the prostate-shrinking drug Flomax so delicately puts it, "a going problem"? I know I definitely don't have a prostate, so maybe I'm just too suggestible and/or easily influenced by the swishy sound of flowing water.

No comments: