Thursday, June 7, 2007

Big Bird's World - Street of the Living Dead

I was just never all that crazy about Sesame Street, so Meelyn and Aisling never watched it. It drove me absolutely batty, all that constant jumping around from counting to reading to placating Oscar (shouldn't he be in a landfill in New Jersey by now?) to singing songs about being a little airplane...it wore me out and gave me a slight migraine. My mom told me about her friend whose daughter learned to count to infinity in Spanish when she was only ten minutes old by watching Sesame Street, but I just didn't care. It was too hyper for me.

So imagine my delight when Meelyn and Aisling told me yesterday that my oldest nephew, 12-year-old Kieren, had had a nightmare several years ago, featuring all the characters of Sesame Street turning evil and becoming zombies and chasing him all over the place until he finally woke up in a cold sweat. Can you picture Zoe and Elmo with blank, dead eyes, shuffling along with their puppety arms held out in front of them grunting, "Bwains...bwains..we must eat bwains"? And the formerly cheerful Big Bird with a red cast to his eye, hypnotizing little children into paralysis and then pecking them to death with his great big beak?

Is it any wonder that I love that kid?

No comments: