Friday, June 1, 2007

une célébration pour des cousines

CousinFest '07 is finally here!

It is 9:28 and I've been galloping around the house since seven o'clock, doing the packing. I am taking with me:

1) a carry-on sized suitcase, stuffed

2) a vanity case because, well, I'm vain.

3) a tote with my scrapbooks in it

4) two pillows

5) a bag of shoes

6) a tote bag with all my books in it

7) a mini-cooler with the supplies for the most excellent hors d'oeuvre I am making

8) my purse

If Kayte reads here today, she will laugh her head off. She is an easy traveler who deals well with minimalist packing. I have no concept of such. Which is good, because when we go to the Stratford Shakespeare Festival in September 2008, I'll be able to squeeze more of my stuff into the spaces not occupied by her stuff.

My husband carried my suitcase and vanity case out to the van this morning because I had them by the door waiting. He went out and came back in, leaning down to kiss me, saying, "I loaded up the car for you."

I returned the kiss and gestured at the kitchen table, which was covered with items 3-8. His eyes widened as he looked at the teetering pile of stuff and he said, "How long are you going to be gone? Until Sunday afternoon, right?"

"Yup," I answered.

"Okay," he said, still incredulously eyeing the rest of my most necessary belongings. "Well, I'd better get all this stowed away."

I went out to the van just now to do a spot check - you know, just in case he loaded my stuff into our neighbor's van across the street - and noticed that it already looks like something that belongs to the Joad family, or maybe the Beverly Hillbillies. And Lilly's stuff isn't even in there yet.

1 comment:

Kayte said...

Oh, my word, I cannot believe all the stuff you packed for three days! I packed one light bag, one book, one extra pair of shoes, and one six pack of my favorite bottled water...out the door in less than 4 (minutes, that is....). I am so not riding with you to Stratford! All that stuff would just make me very nervous! LOL!