Thursday, June 28, 2007

Thursday's List

READING: Black Potatoes: The Story of the Great Irish Famine, 1845-1850 by Susan Campbell Bartoletti. First of all, I had to giggle at the idea of anyone with a solid Scots surname like "Campbell" writing a book sympathetic to the Irish and their potatoes. I got this in the young people's department, so it isn't a weighty tome, but rather an extremely readable -- and horrendously sad -- account of the Potato Famine that brought some of my ancestors (and my husband's) to the United States, courtesy of Ellis Island.

POOLSIDE READING: Size Twelve Isn't Fat by Megan Cabot, the same woman who wrote the book and the screenplay for The Princess Diaries. The Princess Diaries are for girls, but they're so funny and cute that I've enjoyed them too. But this book, I'm afraid, doesn't quite measure up. It's a light murder mystery and so far, I'm having trouble caring about whodiddit.

LISTENING TO: Paul Simon's Graceland

THINKING ABOUT: throwing a little balsamic vinaigrette on the chicken breasts that I did manage to unthaw for dinner tonight and calling it a marinade

HAPPY TO SEE: the landscaping project in the driveway continuing to take shape

FAVORITE NEW FIND: this new stuff called "rain" -- it comes down from the sky and it's really, really wet! I know! Our grass looks better too!

FAVORITE THING TODAY: three hours of peace 'n quiet during the hours of volleyball camp

WISH I HAD: blonde highlights in my hair

SCRAPBOOK PAGES THIS WEEK: zero, because I am still freaked out

PRAYING FOR: all the people in Texas who are getting too much rain; a little boy from our homeschool group who has a very aggressive cancer; a safe trip to Italy for Kayte's Matthew, who is going to Italy to sing

1 comment:

Kayte said...

Oh, thank you for the prayers for Matt...very sweet of you and much appreciated. Balsamic vinaigrette on chicken sounds like a fine marinade to me. How was it? The blonde highlights sound cute and fun! Get over the scrapbook thing...or get over here and I will get you over it!