Thursday, May 13, 2010

Reading aloud

A couple of weeks ago, my husband made an interesting suggestion. "Remember when you used to read aloud to us at night after dinner?" he said. "I wish you'd start doing that again.. We could just leave the TV off after the girls get the dishes done and sit together and listen."

That was an intriguing thought. I don't think I've read aloud to the family since the girls were much smaller and we did the first three volumes in the Harry Potter series, several books by Natalie Babbitt (I think we all cried during the last pages of Tuck Everlasting), Anne of Green Gables, A Little Princess and a number of other engaging novels. It was always a great success, so I thought Why not do it again, with a book intended for a different audience?

So I began thinking. But it didn't take me long to think of To Kill a Mockingbird, which is one of my favorite books of all time, as you can tell by my extremely battered paperback copy. That beat-up little book means a lot to me, so I've never replaced it with a nicer hard cover version, although I think I may need to do that after this reading: the cover came apart last night when I was reading about Miss Caroline's issues with Scout and the Cunningham and Ewell families.

This is not a very long book and we'll be reading about three nights a week or so. Do you have any recommendations for what we could read when we finish this one?

2 comments:

Kayte said...

There is nothing like reading aloud as a family. So wonderful. Good for you!

Shauna said...

I used to love sleeping over at my best friend's house because they read aloud as a family before bedtime for little girls (my friend and I). It was there that I fell in love with the chronicles of Narnia, and I wished I could stay the night every night until we finished the book.

We have decided, with our little one on the way, that we want to have family story time. We each have our favorite childhood books collected on the bookshelf to read to our baby when he or she is old enough. We're very excited.

I don't know so much about recommendations. Most of what I read is young adult fiction, so I don't know how much your family would like it. My very favorite book in the world is Lois Lowry's "The Giver". My copy is in pieces, but I love it so much. I read it frequently, and find I have gotten more out of it as an adult than I did as a teen. I'm all for classics, like "Through the Looking Glass" and "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" and I love me some Jane Austen.